Thursday, July 16, 2015

When Liking Just Isn't Enough

Lately I've been doing a lot of job hunting, and learning about what it takes to network and using your contacts to make more contacts, and everything else having to do with networking. So, in trying to apply newly acquired said skills, I decided to make Facebook one of those high traffic networking places. I figured, there's enough people out there on my friends list, I'm sure I'll get at least one hit. Even if that hit doesn't lead to anything, at least it'll be a lead. So I put my question out there: "Does anyone know of anyone looking to hire someone like me for their ministry?" Well, in not so many words, but the basic gist is there. Unfortunately, no one responded with any leads; I did, however, receive a lot of likes for my posted status......hmmmm, not exactly what I was going for.

While I deeply appreciate the likes, and the prayers that undoubtedly accompanied said likes, what would really have been handy, would have been a comment with someone I could connect with. Prayers are powerful and helpful, likes are encouraging, but in this instance I needed something other than those things alone.

This simple experience gave way to some profound thoughts about we as Christians doing much the same thing. How often does someone come to me asking for something he or she needs (like money, a meal, my time, etc.), and I look at them, take a deep breath, direct them on their way, waving as they go, and say as they leave that I'll be praying for them, when I have the money to give, the ability to cook a meal, time to spare, etc. How often do I turn someone away, and say I will pray, when I have to give of what they have need (Proverbs 3:28).

"For I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me drink, I was a stranger and you welcomed me, I was naked and you clothed me, I was sick and you visited me, I was in prison and you came to me.’ Then the righteous will answer him, saying, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you drink? And when did we see you a stranger and welcome you, or naked and clothe you? And w hen did we see you sick or in prison and visit you?’ And the King will answer them, ‘Truly, I say to you, as you did it to one of the least of these my brothers, you did it to me.’Matthew 25:35-40



No comments:

Post a Comment